- I am a big social drinker. I rely on alcohol to be social. Without alcohol, birthday dinners and social outings are tedious especially when there are strangers involved.
- Non alcoholic drinks are a waste of money. Why do people order cranberry juice at a bar? Or a virgin mojito?
- Speaking of which, it is hard to find a great non alcoholic drink. They totally suck and are full of sugar! I was out and decided to order something whose name I forget but it was some virgin cocktail. All I remember was it was sweet and I was on a sugar high and then felt like crap afterwards. Total waste of money.
- Some friends are not accepting of your non alcoholic ways especially when you drunk like a fish. They can’t fathom you without alcohol especially when they know you are socially awkward and probably can’t function outside your social circle without an alcoholic boost.
- On hard days, all you can think of is going home to a nice chilled bottle of red wine until realize you gave up alcohol for a whole year and you wonder why on earth you thought that was a great idea and curse the living daylights out of the day and go home and curl up in your bed and turn on Netflix and feel better because who knew Netflix has such super powers?
- I have saved myself at least $11 every week from not buying my usual wine. My choice of poison is Riunite Lambrusco red wine. This wine gives me life, figuratively speaking. They say ‘you know you’re getting old when wine becomes your choice of alcohol. I guess I’m getting old now (lol).And then I discovered it was $16.99 for the 3L container and my life was never the same. I switched from the small one to the bigger one. But now I’m back at zero since no alcohol. This year is draaaaaaaaging I tell you.
- Did I mention everything seems to drag when you are off alcohol? The weekend seems to last longer than usual, dinners take too long and we are still in march! Why aren’t we in September already? Just me? Ok. I will find a seat somewhere.
- I want to quit every day. I just want to go back to regular old wine drinking me every single day. Every time I am invited to a dinner or social event I die a little inside knowing I cannot have a drink and I really really would like to have a drink.
- I have survived every social outing I have attended since I started my no alcohol for a year challenge. I have been social some of the time and I have been passively passive at most. I have wondered why I was even invited to some and wanted to leave except for the fact that I didn’t drive and was at the mercy of others and didn’t want to spend money on a cab or uber from the city to the burbs. It would cost too much. But I sat and contemplated it.
- I have decided I will not participate in social outings I have no business participating in such as the one I just described above. I have survived roughly three months alcohol free and it has been meh.
Have you participated in anything that seemed hard and felt like giving up? Did you give up or soldier on? Let’s talk about it. Help a girl out here. Have you been through anything similar? What was your experience like?